The Dawn Slade-Faull Award encourages and assists artists with a disability to pursue professional development in their chosen field. A single award of up to $3,000 is now made bi-annually, commencing 2020.
Selection is based on the artistic merit of examples of work from the two years prior to submission, and the potential for development of the artist.
Entries may be made by or on behalf of any person who is resident in South Australia and who has an intellectual, physical, psychiatric or sensory disability.
Entries for the Award are accepted via this website. Please read through the FAQs below before making your entry.
Note: Due to changes with the Award the Trustees have decided to postpone the next round until 2020.
Entries Open: April, 2020
Entries Close: TBA
Winners Announced: TBA
Awards of financial assistance could be made for, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- Professional Development
- Tuition fees, etc
- Modification to equipment
- Purchase of equipment or materials
- Exhibition expenses
Entrants should not be constrained by the examples given above, however if in doubt please contact the Trustees.
- Entries may be made by any person with an intellectual, physical, psychiatric or sensory disability. Note that entries may be prepared and submitted on behalf of a person with a disability – but only with their agreement and consent.
- Artists must be resident in South Australia.
- Emerging practitioners of a diverse range of visual arts, crafts and design are eligible, including but not limited to: painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, ceramics, jewellery, textiles, video and sound. More experienced artists seeking professional development as a result of a newly acquired disability may also be eligible.
- Artists must submit 5-10 high quality examples of their work, or 4-7 for media arts video and sound), completed within the last two years for consideration of artistic merit and potential for development.
- The proposed use of the Award should further the artist’s development in their chosen field.
If support is sought for materials, equipment or exhibition expenses, you should include a list of items and their approximate cost.
If support is for tuition or other education, indicate proposed fees, length of course, and name of the school or tutor. Also indicate when you propose to undertake the study.
The requested total (excluding any in-kind or other contributions) must not exceed $3,000.
For painting, sculpture, ceramics, jewellery etc, please upload photographs of 5-10 recent works. These files should of a high quality to enable the assessors to view the work clearly. Each image should be no larger than 5 Mb in size, 300 dpi, and in one of the following formats: jpeg, jpg, tiff, png or pdf.
For media arts (time-related art such as video or sound), rather than uploading the files, please provide links to 4-7 recent pieces on platforms like YouTube, Vimeo, Soundcloud, or a webpage.
When you select ‘Save and Continue’ you will be presented with a unique URL (web address) to return to and continue your entry. You simply add your email address and the unique URL will be emailed to you for later use.
Please note that only text entered in the form will be saved. Any documents selected for upload (reference, CV etc and artwork images) will need to be selected again when you return to complete the entry process.